Building a New Station - Part II
Read part 1 here
Welcome to part 2 of my look back at the process of rebuilding my LEGO town’s train station. In Part 1 we looked at the history of the station and the rebuilding of Platform 1. This time we’ll look at the tunnel area and the new play features I added along the way.
The first thing I had to do was pull out all the old rock modules. This was trickier than I’d anticipated because I was seriously lacking in baseplates when the original layout went together and it all rested on a series of cork shims with zero wiggle room.
You might remember I mentioned in Part 1 about the overhangs being a nightmare - you can see why! This will just about stand up but the slightest touch tips it over - you can imagine how frustrating it was trying to squeeze everything into place without it all falling over and exploding!
Once they were all out of the way I had pretty much a blank canvas to start working on, and the first thing I did was lay down a bunch of baseplates. I’m not one of those people who gets their knickers in a twist at the thought of people cutting or painting LEGO pieces, it’s just something I choose not to do. There’s two exceptions to that rule: baseplates and train track. I cut up a piece of straight track months ago to fill some odd-length gaps and I had to slice an 8x16 baseplate to fit around the supporting legs here.
The first thing I noticed here was just how much empty space there was to the left. I ended up filling some of that space with a hidden underground lab that no one will ever see, but that’s another post for another day! I started rebuilding the rock modules without the insane overhang, and with enough foresight this time to add space for cave entrances.
Maybe it’s just me being a weirdo but building rockwork is super therapeutic!
I tried to keep everything as smooth and modular as possible, so it can (in theory) be taken apart fairly quickly. Rather than the massive unwieldy overhangs, these are made to look like rods have been driven into the rocks - I did a quick load test with some full battery boxes and it seemed to hold up pretty well.
I then got distracted for about a week building the aforementioned secret lab but once that was all done, it was time to slide everything back into position!
I really love watching those timelapse videos back, I should probably make more! Anyway, the last piece of the puzzle once the caves and tunnel were in place was to rebuild the footbridge. The old bridge was kinda flimsy and really only added as an afterthought as access to Platform 1 used to be via a narrow set of stairs built into one of the rock modules. With that gone, the new bridge needed to provide access to both platforms and, most importantly, not look crap.
I ordered a bunch of parts I thought I’d need (and some I definitely didn’t, but who’s counting) and waited for my parcels to arrive. The DBG stair pieces were the main thing I needed and once they turned up about a week later, everything else seemed to fall into place relatively fuss-free. It always bugs me when something is too easy because I feel like I’ve forgotten something but as far as I can tell, we’re all good!
Here’s a shot of the almost-finished bridge in all its glory. I need to add some smaller details like handrails and the like but I’m pretty happy with the end result and it’s a HUGE improvement on the old one.
That about wraps it up for this post. There’s a lot of stuff I’ve not covered: shop interiors, custom lighting, the secret lab, the trap door in the road, and so on. I’ve tried to keep it relatively interesting while not turning the whole thing into a massive essay but if there’s anything you want to know more about feel free to shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more detailed updates, I post updates most days on my Instagram where you can follow along with the adventures of the construction crew and the slightly loopy site inspector!
Thanks for reading :)